14 July 2011

Hey Now!

When making and registering a firearm that will become part of the National Firearms Registry you have to engrave your legal information on it.

For example:

McThag Trust
Tampa, FL

The letters must be at least 0.0625" tall, 0.003" deep, be of a readily readable font and be placed on the serialed part of the gun where it can be seen readily with the firearm assembled.

Used to be people would engrave this information on the seam between the upper and lower receiver of an AR being registered so that it wouldn't infringe on the aesthetics.  You needed to show the engraving?  Pop the rear pin, open it up, show it off.

ATF decided that was not allowable.

Today I noticed where the serial number for my S&W 640-3 was located.  UNDER the crane.  You cannot see it until you swing out the cylinder.

I am, once again, missing the point of an ATF ruling.

That happens to me a lot.

1 comment:

  1. Look in the heel of your 640. Massachusetts requires all firearms sold in state have two serial numbers. One in a visible part of the gun an another "hidden". I assume this law was crafted by idiots who thought somehow thugsley the drug dealer would file off one number and ignore the other one.


    Just more stupid laws to keep guns out of Massachusetts.

    But the 642 I have in my pocket right now has one Ser# stamped inside the crane, and the other on the heel. Technically if I put some extended grips on it it would conceal them both.

    Gun laws are stupid and accomplish nothing.

    ReplyDelete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: Sign your work. Try this link for an explanation: https://mcthag.blogspot.com/2023/04/lots-of-new-readers.html

Anonymous comments must pass a higher bar than others. Repeat offenders must pass an even higher bar.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.