19 July 2011

My home business idea... and why I don't.

Waaaaaay back in early 2007 I was going to become a niche producer of AR-15s.  I was going to incorporate under "Laconic Arms".

I was going to do custom order builds for people who didn't want to build them themselves and/or offer configurations that the larger places weren't offering (like retro builds).

Why didn't I?

You need to be some form of FFL.

If I was offering complete guns branded with my imprint I would have to be a manufacturer or a Type 7 FFL.

If I was just putting them together on the customer supplied lower I would need a Type 1 FFL.

To get either kind of FFL you need a chief law enforcement officer (CLEO) sign-off (BATFE requires compliance with local laws and ordinances).  To get that where I live, I need to have a place zoned for commercial or business use.  I can't start-up out of my garage which is zoned mixed ag/residential.

Until I am established, I can't afford to rent a commercial property.

Catch 22.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.