10 February 2013

Police Exemption

Robert Peel's famous Principles of Policing.

Number seven in particular.

"Police, at all times, should maintain a relationship with the public that gives reality to the historic tradition that the police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full-time attention to duties which are incumbent upon every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence."

It occurs to me that thanks to police exemptions and 922(o) (aka the Hughes Amendment) that I am no longer the police and the police are no longer the public.

Not to mention how the various police organizations have been monopolizing all manner of powers and rights that properly belong to us all, such as arrest.

It has been asked, since AR-15's are "weapons of war", who are the police at war with?

They may reply that they are at war with the criminals.

OK, I'll grant that; if only for discussion.

Mr Policeman, you work here.  I FUCKING LIVE HERE!

If you need a machine gun to drive past, what do you think it's going to take to stay put 2/3 of the day?

No more exemptions for law enforcement!  They are us, time to remind them.

I can't have it, cop can't have it.

PS: Officer, your safety is SECONDARY to the public's.  You job is to protect society at large and preserve the peace.  That could mean you stand between the criminal and an innocent and take the barrage for them.  That's being a hero.

Lighting up two old ladies because they are driving the same type of vehicle as a suspect is cowardice.

And I can't do that, so you shouldn't be able to either.

Rediscover honor; and suddenly my higher standard won't seem so onerous or difficult.

4 comments:

  1. And by "Same Type of Vehicle" you mean different make, different model, different color, and different vehicle size.

    Its no different than if he was driving a black Honda Accord, and they shot up a Green Ford Fusion.

    They pretty much got EVERYTHING wrong with that stop and nearly killed the two WOMEN in the car, not to mention the occupants of the several homes that were also hit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I meant "pickup".

      "Same general form factor" was considered...

      Delete
  2. To me this is the most positive thing to come from "the troubles" so far. Gun Culture 2.0 culture seems to be solidifying in their answer to the old hoplophobe ploy of asking "Does the 2nd Amendment include tanks, artillery...NUKES???!!!"

    "I can't have it, cop can't have it." Brilliant! No, it's even better than brilliant it's elegant.

    Of course there will be those that will say "By God you're right, the police in Britain by and large don't carry sidearms, neither should American cops."

    ReplyDelete
  3. The militarization of the police, largely if not completely due to the insane "War on Drugs," has led to all sorts of abuses.

    When I hear a JBGT refer to me, or any other non-cop, as a civilian, I want to ask "And when did you join the military, Herr Sturmbannfuehrer? Not that I do...I don't want to be the star of my very own "regrettable accident."

    ReplyDelete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: Sign your work. Try this link for an explanation: https://mcthag.blogspot.com/2023/04/lots-of-new-readers.html

Anonymous comments must pass a higher bar than others. Repeat offenders must pass an even higher bar.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.